Those eligible for the Value Added Tax (VAT) Relief Program must present a valid ID and ration card. The following are instructions for using the VAT program to purchase items costing £100 or more with VAT. Do NOT purchase items until you follow the necessary steps:
1. Find out if the supplier is willing to participate in the VAT program. (A letter explaining the program to the supplier is available).
2. Identify items or services for purchase (must be like items). Selling price must be £100.00 or more (VAT included). Do NOT purchase the items until you follow the necessary steps.
3. Obtain an invoice addressed to 48 FSS or 48th Force Support Squadron, the invoice must contain the following information:
• Name of the Supplier (business or individual)
• Supplier Address
• Supplier Phone Number
• Customer Name
• Detailed listing of each item & price per item and/or Service
• Total Cost of Purchase. Invoice must clearly state VAT amount or indicate VAT exclusion.
• Date of Invoice (Invoices are valid for 30 days)
The VAT Office can only accept Pound Sterling Cash or a Pound Sterling Cashier’s Cheque made out to 48 Force Support Squadron (Community Bank will only charge you $1.00 if you’re a member; tell them it’s for the VAT Program). We are unable to accept personal checks, credit cards or debit cards.
Go to your VAT Office with your invoice, money, processing fee, ID card and ration card to purchase a government check made payable to the vendor. The processing fee for each VAT transaction is:
1. E-1 to E-4 (or civilian equivalent) $8 (Pound Sterling equivalent)
2. E-5 and up (or civilian equivalent) $10 (Pound Sterling equivalent)
Take the check and Vat Free Certificate to the supplier and purchase goods or services: Have the supplier complete the required information on the certificate.
The certificate labeled “Merchant Copy” remains with the supplier. The other copy of the certificate needs to be forwarded back to the VAT office within 10 days of purchase with signature of merchant. Failure to return the certificate labeled “Lakenheath Return Copy” may result in your exclusion from future participation.